Saturday, October 1, 2011

Chunky applesauce

60 degrees and sunshine-y....the leaves have begun their journey to beautiful-ness.  I honestly woke-up this morning rejoicing over the weather -- it's wonderFALL outside.  Before running a couple quick errands this morning, I made chunky applesauce and threw it in my crockpot. 



Several years ago, I purchased this apple peeler/corer.  At the time, I thought, This seems like alot of money to spend.  However -- several years later (by "several," I mean 9 years later), I am soo thankful that I spent the money on a good quality apple peeler.  It is worth its weight in gold!!! 



I decided on Granny Smith apples, cinnamon, some water, and a smidge bit of Sugar in the Raw.  I wasn't going to add any sweetener but then I remembered making this one time with Granny Smiths...and well, I remember how sour it was...so lest I compromise another batch of chunky applesauce, I'd rather be safe.



This was taken three hours into the cooking process.  Can I just say right now that I absolutely love my crockpot???  I do.  I love it that I can throw in a bunch of ingredients and several hours later -- supper is ready...oh and let's not forget...THE COTTAGE SMELLS DIVINE!!!!!  I'm fairly certain that I could make this chunky applesauce every single day in the fall and not ever get sick and tired of it.  Cinnamon and apples...baking all day...it's potpourri and edible!


Chunky Applesauce
(Taken from Fix It and Forget It Cookbook by Dawn J. Ranck and Phyllis Pellman Good, p. 245)

Makes 8 - 10 servings

Ingredients:
8 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks (6 cups)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup - 1 cup sugar or cinnamon red hot candies

1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
2. Cook on Low 8-10 hours or High 3-4 hours.

ENJOY!

At our Ladies Retreat, they served baked apples over oatmeal...I'm going to try putting this applesauce over my oatmeal tomorrow morning.  Mmmmmmmm...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!!!!!

LOVE YOU,
MOM

It's been awhile.

While I was in The JoAnn Fabrics store this afternoon purchasing pre-punched paper for my 2024 garden journal, I said to myself, "Self,...