Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Feral Fish

Yesterday at work, a lady approached our Engineering window with the most unusual request.  Now for those of you who have never been inside my place of employment, here are a couple of things you should know...

A. In the lobby, we have two ponds.  One pond is the home to various wild fish native to the Rock River.  Carp, catfish, etc. 

B. My cubicle is the closest cubicle to the Engineering window thus affording me a front row seat to all the action -- but at the same time, I can remain hidden from the public.  (Although I found out that my laughter can be heard at the window...oops!)

C. My co-worker hates sitting at the window and talking to the public.

Picture it -- 3:00 p.m. yesterday.
A lady approaches the window.  (Oh -- D. The speaker that is out in the lobby cannot be heard because of the waterfall, so you have to do hand-gestures and meet the people at the door to talk.)  My co-worker points to the door.  She gets up out of her chair and walks to the door.  Upon arrival at the door, this lady begins a 3 to 4 minute speech about her overweight goldfish and how the poor dear is too fat for his bowl...and could she (I cannot make this up!!!) bring the fat fish and release him into our pond.

Need I remind you of point "A"???  When I say that the fish are wild...I mean they are WILD.  I get kinda creeped out walking by the pond when the catfish are lingering near the glass.  Ick! 

My co-worker explains that the fish in the pond are native to this area and her goldfish is not. 

After the conclusion of the conversation, said co-worker comes to my cubicle and says, "I know you heard all of that, Angela.  I heard you laughing."

Ummmm RIGHT!

Too which I replied, "I cannot believe that whole conversation just happened.  It was totally like an out-of-body experience.  I'm soo glad it happened to you and I just had to listen.  I don't think I could've stood there and NOT laughed outloud."

Co-worker, "Does she seriously think her goldfish would survive in the pond?"

Second co-worker:  "Ummmmm...those fish out there are feral...you know, wild...like feral cats.  We have FERAL FISH!  I crack myself up!"

Angie:  "Feral fish....ha. ha. ha. ha. ha. ha. ha. ha. ha. ha. ha.  I say we tell her to bring her fish in and release it and then we can sit back and watch" (makes a circular motion with hands) "the circle of life."

First co-worker:  "Oh look, she's out there snapping pictures with her cellphone."

Angie:  "She's probably going to take the pictures home and introduce her goldfish to his new friends and..."

First co-worker:  "And if the goldfish responds positively, she will smuggle him in and release him to his new found freedom."

Second co-worker:  "And then he will get eaten.  Circle of life."

As I drifted off to sleep last night, I thought again about this conversation and I laughed and laughed and laughed...  A merry heart doeth good like a medicine. 

No comments:

It's been awhile.

While I was in The JoAnn Fabrics store this afternoon purchasing pre-punched paper for my 2024 garden journal, I said to myself, "Self,...