Sunday, May 6, 2012

Compassion

I've been thinking a lot about people in need of compassion.  When you stop and watch people through the eyes of Christ, you see that there are soo many hurting people around us.  Seeing and being aware of hurting individuals has given me pause to think about Jesus and His compassion.  I was reminded of the story of Lazarus.  He (Lazarus) got really sick.  His sisters were certain that Jesus would come.  Jesus did not come in their timing.  Lazarus died.  Word got to Jesus.  Jesus wept.  He shed tears.  I'm not for certain if He cried because of the grief of Lazarus' family or if He was so moved with sadness over the loss of a dear friend...either way, Jesus was compassionate.

Elizabeth George wrote a wonderful Bible study titled A Woman Who Reflects the Heart of Jesus, Elizabeth writes:

"When I think of compassion, I always recall 
a string of words often in the Gospels that have 
stuck with me.  In fact, I can't shake them, 
even if I wanted to.  They describe our Lord 
and Savior, Jesus Christ.  On a number of 
occasions in the Bible, Jesus is described as 
being 'moved with compassion.'  These 
words are preceded by a scene in which a 
person is in need.  And they are followed by 
some caring, kind, helpful act from Jesus."


Again, I am reminded (and have been reminded all week) of something amazing that Mr. Farrell said during revival meetings, "Compassion is your hurt in my heart."  One way (and in my estimation the most powerful way) that we can show compassion to others is to pray for them...and take the time to write them a note, send them a text, type up a quick email just to let them know that...


A) they were on your mind;
B) they are important to you; and
C) you care.


I have had a particular family on my mind all week.  The Clark family.  I'd like to ask you, Blog-Stalkers, to pray for them.  The husband & dad (Kevin) was killed in Afghanistan on Tuesday, May 1st.  I'd like us to join our voices and pray for Susan (wife, mom) and her two daughters, ages 9 and 3.  I'm going to post a family picture taken, I believe, last summer.  Please pray for Susan as there is going to be a military investigation into her husband's death.  And please pray these precious little girls as they miss their daddy.


Lastly might I encourage you to LOOK AROUND...find someone that you can show compassion to and be a blessing.  I promise you this...if you prayerfully look around, the Lord will open up your eyes to the needs of others.  Once He does open your eyes, do what He says to do!!!  Being a blessing to a hurting individual may very well open their heart to the Gospel and God's amazing love!!!

No comments:

It's been awhile.

While I was in The JoAnn Fabrics store this afternoon purchasing pre-punched paper for my 2024 garden journal, I said to myself, "Self,...