Saturday, February 2, 2013

Broccoli salad

Have you ever had a recipe flop???  Two or so years ago....I was asked to make green bean casserole.   In my defense,  I hate the stuff and had never made it before....
 
I don't buy/drink/consume cow's milk.  I am almond milk kind of gal.
 
A couple of bad things happened the morning of the green bean casserole debacle.
A.  I did not have cow's milk at the cottage.
B.  I did not know to keep the onions off the top.
C.  I had purchased frozen green beans.
 
Needless to say......I think my pan of awful gbc got thrown away.  Praise the Lord because it didn't look pretty.  Not that I would know because I cannot eat gluten and the cream of whatever soup contain gluten.
 
Since the green bean debacle,  I have been trying to redeem myself and my cooking skills.  Now - my former co-workers know that I am a fabulous baker and chef.  My current co-workers know nothing of my skills.   Shhhhhhh....do not tell them, please.  Let's keep that between us.  (Wink, wink!!!)
 
I found a recipe for Breakout Broccoli Salad. It was in the Trader Joe's cookbook I perused at Barnes & Noble while waiting for Rosie's new tire to be transported from Alpine to Perryville.
 
Here's the recipe....
Ingredients:
12 ounces broccoli florets
1/4 cup dried cherries (I used cranberries. )
1/3 cup slivered almonds
 
Dressing:
3 tablespoons mayo
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice (I used real lemon juice.)
1 teaspoon sugar (I used Sugar in the Raw.)
 
Directions:
1.  Bring 6 cups of water to a crazy boil.  :)
2.  Add broccoli and boil for 10 SECONDS.
3.  Drain broccoli.   Rinse with cold water. 
4.  Leave to drain.
5.  Make dressing.
6.  Place broccoli in a bowl and top with dressing.  Add almonds and cherries.  Toss salad.
7.  Refrigerate.
8.  ENJOY!!!!!!!  :)

No comments:

It's been awhile.

While I was in The JoAnn Fabrics store this afternoon purchasing pre-punched paper for my 2024 garden journal, I said to myself, "Self,...