If you've been following my blog for awhile now, you know that I love reading...particularly Jane Austen.
I am re-reading Pride and Prejudice...as I tend do in the summer months. I am not certain why summer is the season when I pick up this delightful read. Perhaps Lake Geneva days call to me and I grab Jane and my beach hat and head off for an enticing day soaking up the sun while consuming iced coffee.
This time, though, something is different. The characters haven't changed. I think I have changed. I am thoroughly annoyed with the likes of Mr. Wickham and perhaps this stems from my BEING DONE moment earlier this summer.
I see how Wickham misleads and deceives Elizabeth. Elizabeth should've asked Mr. Darcy before ever believing Mr. Wickham's lies.
My heart breaks as Jane tries to convince Elizabeth that she is fine and that perhaps Charles Bingley doesn't really love her. Elizabeth defies the notion that Charles quitted his affection and has moved on. I love the sisterly bond. The stability of the two older contrast the younger sisters' nonsensical-nonsense.
I dare not expound on Mr. and Mrs. Bennett ~ suffice to say, the Mrs. is ridiculous and her battle of nerves is....well, it's just plain unnerving. The Mr. displays a sensible potential, however, those times are rare and few & far between.
I am sad that my feelings and regard for my beloved characters have changed. I guess, altered might be a more accurate term.
I shall read on and finish the enchanting tale...it just isn't the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment