Friday, March 27, 2020

March 27, 2020: Day 6 of Shelter-in-Place

Today is the 6th day of our state ordered Shelter-in-Place.

My place of employment is considered essential for public health.  Thankfully I've been able to spend most of this week working from home with only a couple of office visits to complete tasks that could not be completed remotely.  

Here are some things I've learned during this week...
1. I thoroughly enjoy watching the birds in my front yard.  Every morning there are a pair of cardinals and a handful of robins flitting about my front yard.  I think they are collecting sticks and twigs for nest building.  They are singing and going out their birdliness without a care in the world.  Surely they know God's got their feathered backs.

2. Too much news is a downer.  Focus on what the World Health Organization and CDC are saying.  Listen to medical experts.  Mainstream media...well, there's a scene in the children's movie Bambi where Thumper (the rabbit) is about to say something not nice.  He pauses and tells Bambi that his mother always says that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.  Soo regarding the mainstream media, I'm going to follow Thumper's mom's advice.  

3. Slowing down is a good thing.

4. Take your vitamins (C, D, and zinc) for sure.

5. Fresh air, even on a cloudy day, is good for your mental health.

6. If you tap on your picture window and wave at your mail carrier, she/he will wave back and smile.

7. I've alternated between listening to Harvest Rockford's Spotify station, K-Love, and classical music.  I've forgotten how much I enjoy classical music - it's a great background for reading.  

8. You do not have to have Netflix, Disney+ or Hallmark Movies streaming 24/7.  Turn the tv off.  Pick up a book and read.  

9. If you look for the little blessings in each day, you will find them.  Write them down.  I've started a list.  Can I be honest?  I actually was discussing an idea with Celia (my feline).  I said to Celia, "We should make a chain of hope."  And then I said more to myself, " 'really, Angie Good.  You used we as if Celia can really help you make said chain.' "  I then resumed the Angie-Celia conversation, "Except we don't know when this will end so maybe everyday I will write down something that I learned or something that I read or something I heard on the radio and I will make a paper chain."  Celia thought it sounded like a good idea; I mean, she did give a resounding "Meow" which could have been an all-in-favor-please-say-aye/meow response.  Or it might have meant that she wanted some cat treats.  Hmmmm...

10. I like my morning commute from the coffeemaker to my laptop.  There's no traffic.  No one, aside from Celia, cutting me off.  No one running the stop light at Y Blvd and N. 2nd Street.  

11. I do miss my work peeps...however we are all staying in touch via email and texting and phone calls.  Just yesterday Robin (of Batman & Robin) was telling me the printer was acting-up and printing everything on letterhead.  I had to kindly inform him that said printer does that when Paper Tray #1 is out of plain paper.  He didn't believe me so when I went in, I sanitized said printer and pulled out a very empty Tray #1.  Behind the scenes I daily go through and check the printers.  

12. (This is sort of along the lines of #11) I miss routine.  I mean I have a new routine but I miss my original routine.  I don't want to look longingly back to my old routine and miss the blessings of my new routine...but I do miss what WAS normal.  What NOW is normal is growing on me...except for the fact that I'm going to probably need new pajamas when this Shelter-in-Place is lifted.  True story.  

I don't know about you, blog-stalker, but this whole forced unplugging from all the busy-ness of life has been very good for my mental health and my overall well-being.  

We always say yes.  
We always over-book ourselves.  (I know I'm not alone in this.)

My honest to goodness prayer in all of this has been 2-fold...
1st - Lord, show people that all the stuff and all the busy-ness is draining and only filling for a brief moment.  Show them they need You.

2nd. - Open the eyes of people to see how very toxic their fast-paced, fast-food, fast-fast-fast lifestyles are slowly killing them.  Show them little moments of grace and laughter and true happiness in the this unrushed time.  Help people to get back to cooking and healthy eating. 

Stay healthy!  Stay sane during this Shelter-in-home.  We're all in this together!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Angie this is wonderful... I just love how you articulate your words.. Hope you week end is restful and peaceful..Stay well Honey!

It's been awhile.

While I was in The JoAnn Fabrics store this afternoon purchasing pre-punched paper for my 2024 garden journal, I said to myself, "Self,...